Thursday, July 22, 2010

Why "Crunchy Frog"?

Well, I'm glad you asked! (Oh, I crack myself up.)
 
The first thing a prospective employer/loan officer/university admissions critter/anyone doing a background check does nowadays (or should do) when faced with making a decision on someone's future, is to see what's in his past.  Step one in that process is Google.
 
Sadly enough, if you searched on my name in Google, my home address and phone number show up on page 1.  This in itself is distressing enough for me, and makes me thankful for Caller ID.  The last thing I need showing up to accompany it is some political rant or off-color joke I made in a moment of weakness 5 years previously.
 
Yes, I know, "Don't post anything you wouldn't want to see on the front page of the New York Times."  I don't.  But even so, I don't want to miss out on a job opportunity because some unscrupulous HR critter decides he doesn't like Republicans, or heavy metal, or something completely unrelated to the topic.
 
Okay, but why "Crunchy Frog" specifically?  Because it's been my computer handle/screen name for the last 25 or so years, since the days of Bulletin Board Systems and Compuserve.  It's how I am known everywhere on the internet, with the exception of Facebook, where I use my real name.  It's the name that my future wife first came to know me by, and up until the day she died, I was her "Froggy" and she was my "Pooh Bear".
 
If you still don't get it, I suggest you acquaint yourself with the madcap brilliance that was Monty Python's Flying Circus.

No comments:

Post a Comment