Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Birthday musings

Well, it seems I've made it through another year.  Forty-four of them, but who's counting?  Besides Uncle Sam, the State of California, various insurance companies, etc...
 
I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.  Hell, I don't know what I want to do next week.  Some folks (myself included) would probably call that a lack of ambition.  I'm not so sure.  It's easy to be ambitious when you're brimming with self-confidence.  When the world is yours for taking. That's when you can make plans.  Not me.  I've always been well aware of my shortcomings.
 
A man's gotta know his limitations. - Inspector Harry Callahan
 
So, I muddle through, and do (not quite) my best with what I've got.  Try and be a good dad to my kids.  Continue the slow, arduous process of putting together a decent music catalog.  Volunteer at church.  Maybe learn to play an instrument.  It would certainly make songwriting easier.
 
I am going to be "teaching" (if that's a good approximation of what a Small Group Leader does) Communion to 15 or so boys (my own son included) for the next two years.  The prospect is exhilarating and terrifying at the same time, as was the process of writing my faith story and delivering it to 100+ people.  (I may post it here at some point, most likely depending on how 'public' this blog becomes.)  Two years is an awful big commitment.
 
I suspect I will learn as much from them as they do from me.  And who knows, maybe one of them will have a single mom...

No comments:

Post a Comment