Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Well, it had to happen...

I've been nursing the tires on my pickup for weeks now, but one of them finally gave up the ghost this morning.  Completely flat.  Nail.  It appears that only having a millimeter of tread or so is not conducive to puncture resistance.  Who knew?
 
So, I hook up my little mini air compressor, and listen to it shake, rattle, and roll itself silly wile ever-so-slowly inflating the tire to temporary usefulness.  First, off to a quick doctor's appointment.  By the time that's done with, the tire is half flattened already.  Crap.  Looks like I'm going to be later to work than previously planned.
 
The guy at the tire store seems to be a friendly sort - right away I'm given a free oil change with purchase of four tires.  That works.  The bad news is that the cheapest set they have in stock is going to run me $156 per tire.  With alignment, wheel balancing, taxes, blah blah blah, that's going to set me back over $800.  This, boys and girls, is why I waited so long to begin with.
 
Turns out they have a set in their warehouse (wherever that is) for $135 each.  Fine, I'll take it.  They send a driver out - should be no more than a half hour, 45 minutes tops.
 
An hour and a half later, dude still hasn't shown up.  By this time, I've sat through the end of Regis & Kelly, and half of The View.  Any more of this and I am going to have to turn in my man card.  The store manager, who's a dead ringer for Big Dane from West Coast Customs gets involved.  Calls the driver - "Where are you?"  Still at the warehouse,  a half hour away.
 
This is very not good.  I should have been to work by now.  Forget it, just give me the more expensive set that's here in the building.
 
In the amount of time it would have taken the dumbass driver to get back, I've got a better set of tires for the cheaper agreed-upon price, with free protection plan, and offer to hook up the diagnostic machine at a later time to figure out what's causing that pesky Check Engine light that's been on for the last 50,000 miles or so.
 
I haven't yet decided if I'm happy about the whole situation, but at least it gave me something to blog about.

No comments:

Post a Comment