Thursday, July 14, 2011

Writer's Block

It's something that every writer experiences, and something that nearly every writer writes about. The dreaded Writer's Block. In my case, it's song lyrics - I don't like to post something that's not complete, and I have half a dozen songs in various stages of undone-ity. One song might have verses and chorus, but no bridge. Another might just be a chorus. Another a snippet of an idea, but no real structure behind it.
 
One song that has been dominating my creative headspace for the past month or so was the first song (really, just a couple verses) I ever wrote, some 25-30 years ago, after discovering Rush. Moving Pictures has just come out, and it was musical nirvana to my teenage ears. So, almost out of nowhere, I penned a bit of ultra cheese about an aging boxing (it was bigger then) champion coming to the end of his career.
 
I have come to the sad conclusion that I am going to have to finally finish this thing and get it out of my skull before I can move on with other stuff, so that's going to be my next post - I actually have in idea of where it needs to go now. Like Victor Hugo, who took 30 years off in the middle of Les Miserables, it's taken me 30 years to finish this. I promise not to write eight chapters about the Parisian sewer system, however.
 
Seems like 30 - Could you ask as much from any other man?
 
But as you the (nonexistent) reader point out, not everything I post is a song lyric. Why couldn't I post a rant about what's going on in my life? Well... it's a long story.
 
That's part of the problem. The long story isn't finished yet. As I said before, I don't like to post things that aren't complete. This isn't a diary - what I write should have a beginning, a middle, and an end. And so far, there has been no end in sight. So far. That might change soon.
 
Why so damn cryptic? Confidentiality. How do I write about people who are (and known by other) occasional readers of this blog? I don't know that I will ever be able to tell the story, or even hint about it.
 
Expect to see a rant sometime in the near future. I'm going through a move, and not only am I hemorraging money, but I'm turning gray in the process. At any rate, I'm more than a little disgusted that this is my first post of 2011, and the year is more than half over. C'est la vie.

No comments:

Post a Comment